In my Heart

In my church we're counciled to keep a record of our lives for our future posterity. This is my record for now, of the things of my heart.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

A View From my Heart #2 - The Who

I've been a little long in getting this out there, but those of you that read Peter's Blog will understand that it's been kind of a busy week for me.

I don't know quite where to begin with the Who's Who's Better, Who's Best...



Some of their music was, well the only word appropriate is inspiring. Some of the other songs felt like maybe they weren't really about what they were singing about, and that there were some sort of hidden meanings that you hear about sometimes.

As usual, I think I should begin with the positive. As the former accordion player in a strolling strings folk ensemble, I can't express enough appreciation for "Squeeze Box". The accordion and other related instruments have NEVER gotten the recognition they deserve, what with the liberal media and all. Anyway, the accordion in the song must have been one of these little guys

because the song says that "Mama's got a squeeze box she wears on her chest", my accordion is one of the bigger instruments and it pretty takes up most of my torso! While the accordion seems to be somewhat disruptive, what with the Dad being unable to sleep and the kids not eating, but at the same time I can't help but think that if squeeze boxes were played more often in more homes in America there would be less divorce and more family togetherness.

Another song I really enjoyed was "I'm a Boy", which is about some older family members playing dress up with their little relative. There were many times when I was a little girl that I wished for a little sibling to play with, to practice putting make up on and what not. The poor little tyke wants to "wanna play cricket on the green" and "Ride my bike across the stream", but his older sister and cousins won't let him because they're having a tea party! Oh well, they'll all grow up to be really close I'm sure because of all the time they spent together growing up. Someday I hope I'll be encouraging little playgroups like this with my own children...

Other highlights were "Magic Bus" (I've always supoprted public transportation), and the haunting "Teenage Wasteland", which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Some of the low points were Pinball Wizard, song about a young man wasting his life playing video games. The welfare roles are full of video game players, and I intend to not have any in my home when I get one of my own. Stephen of course plays his Playstation at all hours when he isn't listening to music, and I just can't help but think of all that valuable missionary preperation time he is missing out on.

I also didn't appreciate most of the other songs from "Tommy" which appear to be about a messiah figure. Several of the other songs were a little creepy and didn't sit well with me, so overall I think the who are a mixed bag and not something I'm going to listen to anymore. I threw Stephen's CD into the trash and Stephen, I left you the money in the top drawer of your desk. Please be more careful about what you bring into our home.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Molly, what gives you the right to do what you did? It's obvious you are incapable of providing a decent and objective review of any album. Next time you have an issue with my things, please talk to me prior to organizing a Gestapo music trashing party.

    Speaking of Gestapo, maybe you'll understand this:

    Achtung! Mein Zimmer ist verboten--und vielen dank fur das taschengeld,

    Steve

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Molly said…

    For those of you who don't speak German, Stephen said

    "Attention my room is forbidden - and many thanks for the pocket money"

    You're welcome Stephen, you're very welcome.

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Molly, you said:

    "the haunting 'Teenage Wasteland', which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard".

    "Baba O'Riley"! The name of the song is "Baba O'Riley"!

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ken is correct. Baba O'Riley is named after Meher Baba, which I'm pretty sure is someone Molly wouldn't approve of.

    Then again, I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was a Pinball Wizard at BYU and I am offended that you think it's a waste of time. All my time playing pinball only helped my hand and eye coordination and made me a better organist.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Molly, quit doing music reviews since you obviously don't know anything about music, at least not rock music.
    And to reiterate, "Baba O'Riley"! For crying out loud, you had the CD right in front of you. Could you not see the track title, or did you just decide to make one up based on what you thought it ought to be?
    What a moron.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You think you can throw cds away? What next books? A historical era comes to mind.... Be courteous to others, let your parents be the dictators, not you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home